I haven’t read all the ADHD books. Mainly as I like to read personal accounts that have advice in them, and that genre of books is very small in the ADHD community. There are some books I read and I disliked them a lot – so I won’t mention them.
I know a ton about ADHD but it comes from reading scientific papers, people’s blogs, and personal accounts wherever I can. The main reason I don’t have many recommendations is that I have kinda built my own advice out of the parts of all the other books, and sources where I gained information about ADHD that I have read in my life.
There is one book I recommend (although it does have a UK NHS focus for some stuff):
ADHD: An A to Z by Leanne Maskell
I am waiting patiently for a couple of awesome books that are due out soon by Dani Donovan, Pina (ADHD_Alien), and Jesse J Anderson. I find their comics, threads, and content extremely useful, so I am incredibly glad they have published works of them coming out.
Aside from that I really do recommend this book for cleaning:
Everything You Need To Completely Clean with ADHD by Rene Brooks (I also recommend all the others she has on her site).
Daily blog challenge
October is here usually known as ‘ADHD Awareness Month’ – but IMO we ADHDers deserve more than that – we deserve acceptance. We need to be listened to, we need realistic accommodations, and help. We need to start moving toward ADHD Pride Month. People should be able to feel proud of being ADHDers, because the alternative is shame.
For 31 days I will be writing every day on being an ADHDer using this list of prompts:
- Day 1: Introduction
- Day 2: What I love about being an ADHDer is…
- Day 3: My Identification/Discovery Story
- Day 4: Reactions to Identification
- Day 5: Hobby Graveyard
- Day 6: Supports and Appreciation
- Day 7: The ADHDer Community
- Day 8: Favourite ADHDer Blogs/Comics
- Day 9: Favourite ADHD Owned Business
- Day 10: Sensory Seeking/Aversion
- Day 11: Fidgets and Stims
- Day 12: Favourite ADHD Charity
- Day 13: Family
- Day 14: Order from Chaos
- Day 15: Everyone Should Know
- Day 16: Work/School
- Day 17: ADHD People I Admire
- Day 18: Someday…
- Day 19: I Love it When…
- Day 20: Communication Style
- Day 21: One thing other people don’t understand…
- Day 22: Dispel a myth
- Day 23: Can’t Live without…
- Day 24: ADHD Political Issue
- Day 25: Symbols
- Day 26: Favourite ADHD Book
- Day 27: Identity Language
- Day 28: Dealing with Boredom
- Day 29: Favourite Memes
- Day 30: Hyperfocus
- Day 31: Acceptance Means…