It kinda sucked…
I had a really bad time with ADHD announcement in 2013. Most people made snide remarks about how it explained a lot. Others asked me why I cared about this stuff.
I declared it in my first job after diagnosis, and I ended up being abused in part due to being ADHD. It was a really difficult time for me.
After my second diagnosis and new treatment in 2019 – I actually internalised that I had ADHD and it wasn’t an excuse. I spoke online, and the reactions were really mixed. In time more people have come to know, and it ended up being a main advocacy activity for me. The reaction now is pretty good – more importantly I found a community of like minded people – these people are the ones who have made talking about it and accepting it a lot easier.
My family took a long time to accept it. It wasn’t really until 2019 they understood how hard it has been for me.
I just want to change it – I felt awful after I told people. I love it about me now, but it took a long time to work through all the trauma that came from my life undiagnosed, and it’s still in process but I feel good about who I am now.
Daily blog challenge
October is here usually known as ‘ADHD Awareness Month’ – but IMO we ADHDers deserve more than that – we deserve acceptance. We need to be listened to, we need realistic accommodations, and help. We need to start moving toward ADHD Pride Month. People should be able to feel proud of being ADHDers, because the alternative is shame.
For the next 31 days I will be writing every day on being an ADHDer using this list of prompts:
- Day 1: Introduction
- Day 2: What I love about being an ADHDer is…
- Day 3: My Identification/Discovery Story
- Day 4: Reactions to Identification
- Day 5: Hobby Graveyard
- Day 6: Supports and Appreciation
- Day 7: The ADHDer Community
- Day 8: Favourite ADHDer Blogs/Comics
- Day 9: Favourite ADHD Owned Business
- Day 10: Sensory Seeking/Aversion
- Day 11: Fidgets and Stims
- Day 12: Favourite ADHD Charity
- Day 13: Family
- Day 14: Order from Chaos
- Day 15: Everyone Should Know
- Day 16: Work/School
- Day 17: ADHD People I Admire
- Day 18: Someday…
- Day 19: I Love it When…
- Day 20: Communication Style
- Day 21: One thing other people don’t understand…
- Day 22: Dispel a myth
- Day 23: Can’t Live without…
- Day 24: ADHD Political Issue
- Day 25: Symbols
- Day 26: Favourite ADHD Book
- Day 27: Identity Language
- Day 28: Dealing with Boredom
- Day 29: Favourite Memes
- Day 30: Hyperfocus
- Day 31: Acceptance Means…